Live At Pink Alley

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Time Flies...

We have been so busy this past week or so. Work has been crazy. Lots of new patient admissions so our census is up which means longer hours. Good for the pocketbook but not so great on the social calendar. :) The kids have been funny as usual and a little trying at times. They love one another with every bit of their souls one moment and can't stand one another the next. They miss each other desperately when their apart but fight like crazy when they get together. Jeff assures me this is normal so I'll take his word on it. Aidan's teacher at daycare, Ms. Totsy, said that throughout the day he asks, "Where my Livia?" The first thing "Livia" has done this week after getting out of bed is go crawl in bed with Aidan. They laugh and tickle and sing. Very sweet.

Thursday morning we had tornadoes and thunderstorms come through. We woke up early Thursday morning, about 3:30, to the city sirens going off. Jeff started listening to the weather while I filled the guest bath with pillows and juice boxes so that we could sit out the storm. Of course, it was over just that quickly and we went back to bed within the hour. We didn't seem to have any damage to our house (maybe the cul-de-sac sheltered us some?), but there was quite a bit of damage in the neighborhood. Fences down, leaves strewn everywhere, a few shingles in the street, trees literally broken right down the middle or completely uprooted, one brick wall was knocked down, and power lines snapped in two. We lost power about 3:40 am and got it back around 1:00 pm. I was scheduled to work that day and the nursing home was also out of power so we treated patients by the lovely light of the backup generator. Jeff stayed home with the kids because their daycare was out of power too.

Friday morning we were up early again. Olivia was scheduled for a minor day surgery to have her ear tubes removed. Her left ear tube had slightly dislodged and was causing infection so the ENT said he had to take them out. It can be done in the office, but, apparently, it frequently happens that when you pull out ear tubes that have been in a long time it will leave a hole in the ear drum and if he pulls them under anesthesia then he can repair the drum. Her tubes have been in for 4 years (they usually last about 1 year). The surgery went really well. The left tube removal did leave a small hole in the eardrum which he patched with a small amount of fat taken from the back of her earlobe. She was very brave and didn't cry at all. Jeff took her to the appointment because I had to work. She slept at home for a few hours after the procedure and Jeff said that when he woke her up for her medicine she said that she just wanted her Aidan. I brought her a big vase full of spring flowers at lunch time and she was thrilled! She said that she knew I brought them to her because she had been so brave. Then she said, "I love the flowers so much that when I grow up and get married, I'm going to come live with you!" She's doing really well today. She's running around like normal.

Aidan got to go to a birthday party for a little girl in his class. He was very excited about the party favor he received - a small Diego doll. When we got home he said, "Mommy, where's your present?" I explained that I didn't get one. He quickly said, "Oh Mommy, don't give up!"

I'll work on getting pictures up soon...

No comments: