We started out the month with Aidan's 4th birthday. He chose dinner at "the pizza place" AKA Pizza Inn then we headed back to the house to play in the new tent. (Where are all of these pictures?!?!) That weekend, 5/9, we had a double birthday party for both kids at annual birthday party favorite, Pump-It-Up. For a while, we weren't sure if we were going to be able to have the party because school had been cancelled for the swine flu, but in the end the CDC decided it wasn't so bad after all. The kids went back to school and the party was back on! We had over 30 kids there, plus their parents, and I swore that this would be the last year of the double party. Everyone had a great time! Aidan had a Buzz Lightyear theme and Olivia chose unicorns and rainbows for her theme. It was very cute!!! So, I usually get the kids' cakes at Kroger but decided to branch out this year. Disaster!!! I had ordered both cakes at the new Super Target near our house. I picked them up (thankfully) a few hours early and they were U-G-L-Y!!! The bakery ladies - and I used the term "baker" VERY loosely - had already gone home so the poor guy from the deli was trying to help me. The icing on Aidan's cake was cracked in several places, 1/2 of the decorations were missing and the middle was sunk. On Olivia's cake, the rainbow that was supposed to be in the corner was just a stripe of brown and a stripe of red. The river running through the middle of the cake was black and her name was misspelled. The deli guy was trying to fix it, but finally said, "I'm sorry I just don't know how to decorate cakes." To which I replied, "Apparently, neither do your cake decorators." :) He apologized profusely. I gave the cakes back and headed to Kroger. An angel at Kroger saved the day! Oh Kroger - never shall I part from thee again!!!





Olivia got a new American Girl doll and Aidan's favorite present was a firefighter dress up kit. He has been chopping down trees with his little axe for weeks! After the party the Lester clan stayed for dinner at Texas Roadhouse then headed home. The next day was Mother's Day:

I got some great handmade presents from the kids and Jeff bought me a corsage to wear to church. They took me out to eat after church. My favorite girly restaurant, The Chocolate Angel, was closed (how dare they!!!) so I gave in to kids' wishes and we returned to the pizza place which is conveniently just across the street.
Olivia got a new American Girl doll and Aidan's favorite present was a firefighter dress up kit. He has been chopping down trees with his little axe for weeks! After the party the Lester clan stayed for dinner at Texas Roadhouse then headed home. The next day was Mother's Day:
I got some great handmade presents from the kids and Jeff bought me a corsage to wear to church. They took me out to eat after church. My favorite girly restaurant, The Chocolate Angel, was closed (how dare they!!!) so I gave in to kids' wishes and we returned to the pizza place which is conveniently just across the street.
Then that next Tuesday, May 12, Olivia had recital pictures. I had to go to bun class! Did you know there is a technique to putting in a bun that will never fall? Very interesting. All of the girls loved getting dressed up! We won't get the pictures back until later in the summer, though. :(


Of course, the next day, May 13, was Olivia's 6th birthday. We gave her my old iPod full of princess songs, Disney songs, and her favorite lullabies. Then she got to open a brand new, HOT pink, iPod dock so she can listen to music in her room and for bedtime. She loved it!!! Aidan gave her a new Little Mermaid doll that flaps its tail when you push a seashell on it's tummy. Very cool.
Of course, the next day, May 13, was Olivia's 6th birthday. We gave her my old iPod full of princess songs, Disney songs, and her favorite lullabies. Then she got to open a brand new, HOT pink, iPod dock so she can listen to music in her room and for bedtime. She loved it!!! Aidan gave her a new Little Mermaid doll that flaps its tail when you push a seashell on it's tummy. Very cool.
That night she wanted to go the Rainforest Cafe for her dinner. We had gone several years before and Olivia was scared of the big electronic gorillas that make noise every 15 minutes or so. She spent most of that first night hiding in the bathroom. This time, however, she loved it! We requested to NOT have a seat by the gorillas which was so laughable when we got there because we had forgotten that they are truly everywhere in the restaurant. (No wonder the host was so confused when he took our reservation.) But they did manage to find us a semi-gorilla-free spot by the waterfall and fish tank. The kids loved their dinner. We order a gigantic brownie/ice cream/sparkler dessert that they wouldn't eat :) and they got to have balloon animals. Super fun!
Are you tired yet?!?! We're not quite halfway through the month. Don't worry - we did manage to find some rest and relaxation time...
The next day, 5/14, was Hannah's birthday and Hannah and her mom drove up to Dallas to have dinner with Olivia and I at the American Girl Bistro.
Isn't that picture of the dolls kinda creepy ?!?! :)
Ater dinner the girls left with Tracy and Olivia had her first friend sleepover at Hannah's house. Hannah's birthday party was the next day and Tracy said that the wait would be much more manageable with a friend. The girls were super excited and I though Tracy was very brave. :) So, of course, we headed down to Lindale the next day for the skating party and to pick up Olivia then over to Sugar and Poppa T's house. This was Olivia's first time to skate and she really persevered! We were so proud of her for sticking with it and really giving it a good try. She didn't cry or really even get frustrated when she fell. She just got right back up and kept going. By the end she was able to skate a little bit without holding on to Jeff or the wall! Aidan tried to skate, but announced that he wasn't very good at skating. He packed up the skates and headed for the inflatables in the middle. He loved getting in there with the boys - who were a little rough for me, but he LOVED it so I worked on breathing and relaxing - and running and jumping on one another.
We had a nice time in Tyler relaxing in the backyard. As we were leaving Jeff's truck had some weird electrical thing happen and we had to stay a while longer to get that fixed. We got back home late Sunday night and Monday morning I had to be up at the school by 7:00 a.m. for the start of Teacher Appreciation week. As Class Mom, I was in charge of organizing Teacher Appreciation for Ms. Turner and decorating doors. Each teacher gets their door decorated in a theme chosen by the PTA. This year's theme was games and we got a list of each teacher's favorite games to choose from. Ms. Turner loves volleyball. A difficult theme for a door, actually, so I went with the All-Star theme and threw in a few volleyballs. I had the kids each fill out a star with something that they love about Ms Turner and put those on the door too. I also decorated the ESL teacher's door in an UNO theme. Here's Ms. Turner's door:
That week ended, 5/22, with Olivia's first Field Day and Jeff and I got to go see her. She had a great time!
The very next Friday, 5/29, was Olivia's school field trip to the zoo. I got to be a chaperone and ride the bus with her. Each chaperone had kids assigned to them and I had Olivia and her good friend, Nancy. They were such hams! They wanted a picture taken with every bronze animal statue in the place! Here are a few of my favorite zoo pics:
That's it for May. It was wild and crazy and lots of fun! And I'm really glad it's over! The craziness did continue on into June. Check back soon for more parties, graduation, rehearsal insanity and recitals!










No comments:
Post a Comment